Finding Auto Repair Services You Can TrustJanuary 23, 2018
5 Common Reasons Your Check Engine Light Is OnJuly 16, 2018
Are you in need of a transmission service?
We’ve all been there. Your vehicle starts making crazy noises on the freeway, the check engine light comes on, the vehicle loses power, and you’re left with no option but to pull over to the side of the road. At Metro Transmission and Automotive, we do our best to provide our customers with the knowledge to prevent major breakdowns. Of course there’s no such thing as a vehicle that is immune to breakdowns, but proper maintenance and the ability to identify early warning signs of major problems can save you thousands in repairs.
As the oldest transmission shop in San Marcos, CA, it’s safe to say we know a thing or two about your vehicle’s transmission and drivetrain. So our ASE Master Technicians put together a list of the top 5 signs it’s time for a transmission service.
5 common warning signs your transmission needs serviced
- You Notice Grinding or Rough Shifting. The second you notice your transmission start to make new sounds or have trouble switching gears, it’s time to make an appointment. A small issue can quickly snowball into a major problem, which could be dangerous should your transmission fail while driving.
- Your Vehicle Is Leaking Fluid. It’s a good habit to regularly check under where your vehicle is parked. While a small leak may not pose an immediate problem, it is best to have your car or truck serviced right away.
- Your transmission is slipping. A transmission that is slipping will feel like your vehicle is losing power or shifting at times it isn’t supposed to. Slipping is typically caused by a failing clutch in manual transmissions, while a variety of different reasons can be the cause in automatic transmissions. While a slipping transmission isn’t always a sign of complete failure to come, it is dangerous, and most definitely a reason to get it immediately inspected.
- You Notice A Delay When Shifting Into Gear. While this isn’t going to be the case with manual transmissions, it is a common occurrence in a failing automatic transmission. This will be most noticeable when switching from park to reverse or into drive. It can also be noticed in between gears while driving. Even a slight delay can cause major transmission problems, and should be looked at the first sign of a delay in shifting.
- Your transmission light is on. Now we know this seems obvious, but you’d be amazed at how many people ignore this warning sign. If you vehicle is displaying any type of warning light or notification, it’s always best to have it diagnosed by a professional. This can be something as simple as a bad sensor, or an indicator to a larger problem around the corner. Either way, when a warning light comes on, you should come in!
While we didn’t cover every single possible warning sign that your transmission is about to go out, we did go through the most typical indicators we’ve experienced. When caught early, many of these symptoms can be fixed with a simple fluid change or service. It’s when these signs are ignored that the large problems occur and a transmission service becomes a transmission rebuild or replacement. If you have questions on our San Marcos Transmission Services, call us anytime Monday through Friday 7am – 5:30pm.